Wednesday, March 14, 2012

When they use your words

I experienced a very surreal moment the other day.  It was when Claire used my words to defend her position and give backing to her argument.  Just to give you a little background on Claire.  She is very confident, very inquisitive.  She wants things explained to her, and she would like supporting evidence to back up any position that Mommy or Daddy take.  

As we were walking out the door to go to the playground, I look back and see Claire with 6 toys in her arms: a doll, baby bottle, stethoscope, marker, etc.  She looked like she could have been working at a doll hospital.  Anyways, I quickly stopped her and told her how we can't take toys to the playground because they might get broken, lost, drooled on by some sick kid (didn't say that but was thinking that).

She looked up at me, very matter of factly, and said "Mommy, you need to worry about yourself.  You shouldn't worry about what toys kids want to take with them.  You need to worry about yourself." 

Wow, I didn't know what to say.  She and her sister are in that stage where they are always telling me about what other kids are doing wrong, and if they aren't sharing.  I always tell them they need to worry about themselves and not worry about other children (unless they are doing something dangerous).  I guess Claire thought this line applied to Mommy too.  All I can say is that she is following in her Daddy's footsteps.  She may be the next Sandra Day O'Connor.

No comments:

Post a Comment