Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Solar System and the questions

We have been really encouraging the girls to learn about the solar system.  Actually, "We" really means David.  He's the science guy; I just go along with it and nod and agree so the girls actually think Mommy is right up there with Daddy in the knowledge department.  Anyways, we started off with making paper mache Earths.  Three strips into it, Natalie hates the glue on her hands.   Claire lasts 2/3 of the way.  I remember paper mache being way more fun when I was a kid.

Moving on...David got this really cool app for his ipad that is like Google Earth but for the solar system.  The girls have been loving it.   So naturally, all of this talk about space, rockets, and planets have planted little seeds of curiosity.

Here are the latest questions that made me smile...

After getting a mosquito bite, Natalie asks, "Awww Mommy,  Why can't mosquitoes live in outer space?  Can we make them blastoff to space and leave us alone?  I want them in outer space not Earth, where they eat me."  Natalie, I couldn't agree with you more.  I love your insight and creative solution.

Claire asked me out of the blue, "Mommy, why are we on Earth and not another planet?"  I told her, "because God searched all of the planets and found one that was perfect for us.   It was not too hot and not too cold; it was perfect."  Later I hear her touching her water in her cup and say, "Ooh, it's not too hot, and not too cold.  This water is perfect."   That Claire.  She is always sponging up what adults say and loves to use the new phrases/terms, and she almost always uses them in the right context.

No comments:

Post a Comment